Can we give the AI or some deployments a tweak?

Share your thoughts and ideas about Mordheim: City of the Damned

Can we give the AI or some deployments a tweak?

Postby Guest » 18 December 2015, 01:46

I'm having a rough time with my Mercenaries warband, and I think some game mechanics could use some tweaking. Not specifically to make my game easier, but to make the overall game a little smoother.

AI:

Artificial Intelligence requires some options. Maybe a playstyle or a focus per round.

I think it's highly annoying that AI, being what it is, does not have to gather Wyrdstone for any reason either than to annoy the hell out of me.

So this means on a hard or brutal mission, where they more than likely outnumber or out strength me; it is impossible to gather wyrdstone to start making the ridiculous requests in short amount of time. Considering that the harder missions seem to wield the best wyrdstone, I have to fight my way to any source of stone and then try and shield anyone picking it up. Which majority of time it wouldn't work depending on the mission layout.

But the mission options make that impossible when the AI's only decision is to CHARGE and CHARGE and maybe CHARGE some more. So if I'm in one of those 'scared in the ruins' mission, my guys are spread to the wind with a dozen warriors all focused on one thing: the charge. Since I'm the only team actually trying to gather stone and gain anything out of it; the AI would just hunt down my lone gatherers or just swarm my group (or groups ,depending on mission type.)

I honestly wish the AI would maybe try and pretend they need stone. Or gear. Or something. Considering that the player HAS to get the stone or fail his delivery, it's near impossible to do so when you need every swinging genital thrown at the enemy. Especially in later levels when the enemy can move extremely far, I just can't find any way to gather stone. The only option is to hope my guys pick up anything either than fragments at a victory.

Missions:
Just some variation in missions. Maybe ones that force you to use smaller warbands (ie. a raiding party, a chase, etc.), or a more specific focus or goal. Something that both myself and the AI want to accomplish. Maybe a specific artifact returned to the warbands wagon for a victory. Give me a reason to chase down the enemy rather than just stand and wait in Ambush mode for the other team to come rushing in.

Routes:
That's cool; the enemy didn't have enough morale to finish a fight.

Not cool: Not being able to pick up that Wyrdstone cluster at their feet; and in the victory screen finding out my guy didn't bend over and pick it up.

Seriously; we just won the damn battle. Can't we take a moment to gather some wyrdstone now?

My suggestion would have a gather radius to counteract this; or a two turn gather option after a victory. Something to allow me to pick up that beautiful warp next to that corpse I just slaughtered.

Bookworms:

The mission needs fixing. In Mordheims current format; the amazing setting is destroyed by the painful movement.

It took me two turns just to get my last guy through the beginning room.

The portals are terrible. Not only was it painful to try and figure out what portals left where; it was hard to get everyone through in a big enough group to fight those awesome demons. It usually took three or four turns to position people to, around, and then have enough movement points after to move out of the way for everyone else.

The mission took forever. It sucked a lot of the fun out of the game.

On one run, I was doing amazing. All I needed to do was kill the curator and the blood letter. Moved everyone to the portal; surrounded it, Ready to step in.....bloodletter was blocking the portal. With a lone bowman, I went over to the area above and found the bloodletter blocking portal and the curator standing right under the jump point. All I had was the one bow.

Didn't bother finishing. Just started all over again. Firing at something with 65% chance to hit with a bow would take untold number of hours.

The portals and the amount of navigation to and around them nearly killed the game at that point. I had to wait a day; didn't want to play it anymore.

We needs it....it hurts us.

NapalmTitan

Re: Can we give the AI or some deployments a tweak?

Postby NapalmTitan » 18 December 2015, 02:40

For some reason my computer logged me out. This was me above.

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 18 December 2015, 09:36

Requesting that the AI focus on gathering stones more so that's it's easier for you to gather stones seems counter intuitive, and I'm not convinced you'd have an easier time of it if your wish was granted.

My merc warband isn't the fastest crew in town by any stretch and I come back with about 100 weight in warpstone every mission. If you're having trouble I assure you that it's something you're doing (or not doing). Your suggestion that you "stand and wait in ambush mode" could be key here. I never do this. Whatever the deployment I have two things to consider at the start of the mission. Where are the enemy? I have a rough idea from the mission description and their cart location. Where can I get the stones I need? Set up a plan to move out to gather loot while maintaining readiness for enemy sightings. If the enemy has deployed near their wagon I can often get 60% of the stones before I even engage them. If they have a scattered deployment I can comfortably push into one of their groups with my whole force while grabbing loot.

Truly make warpstone your priority and you should be able to make off with a motherload every time.

As an aside, ambush mode is really only useful for preventing the AI from picking it's own target and protecting squishy warriors. Otherwise, assuming you're happy to sacrifice the extra movement, a defensive stance will put you in a better position at the start of the fight as you will still attack (counter) but also defend yourself (which the attacker won't get to do).

Evan_

Postby Evan_ » 18 December 2015, 11:01

Requesting that the AI focus on gathering stones more so that's it's easier for you to gather stones seems counter intuitive
On the contrary I'd say. When AI gathers wyerd, than rushes to charge my team it's like free stones without the hassle of collecting them. I always feel like christmass is coming early when they do that.

Though the feeling that it would make my time easier doesn't make me like the suggestion. -My- warband is the toughest in Mordheim, the puny AI should better focus me instead of picking flowers. Hell, that's what I do too when being ambushed by a deadly team or in similar hairy situations.

Though mission variation would be fun indeed. I'd love an attack / protect the cart while it rolls through a long street or so quest type.

Astralwyrm

Postby Astralwyrm » 18 December 2015, 14:28

For a couple patches now it seems like the AI doesn't move around as much as it use to. I find alot more of my enemies hanging around their carts than i use to during walk in the fog and rivals in the ruins.

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 10 January 2016, 18:41

Though mission variation would be fun indeed. I'd love an attack / protect the cart while it rolls through a long street or so quest type.
Yeah, missions like that would be aces.

Orkhan

Postby Orkhan » 20 January 2016, 12:41

For some reason my computer logged me out. This was me above.
Are you still having problems to fullfill the requests?

I think Mordheim is a good game in the early and mid stages of the game. Games are hard, due to the deployment, and sometimes you lose members without being able to save anyways (ambush and sneak attack scenarios, as well as scattered deployment).

This is what Mordheim is about, fight for the stones, it's no free loot to be had.

Return to “Feedbacks”