General feedback

Share your thoughts and ideas about Mordheim: City of the Damned
Drildgen

Re: General feedback

Postby Drildgen » 08 December 2015, 18:35

I am very sorry to hear that you consider deployment as finished. From my perspective, it is very painful but sill important. It should not be so difficult to allow player to pick position by mouse-click or drag&drop in strategy view in addition to current solution. Those can exist together.
And honestly, automatic deployments are like automatic battles in Age of Wonders - saves your time when you have clear upper hand. But you loosing tactic aspect of the game + you downgraded AoW into Civilization.
Revamping the deployment as you envision it would demand a lot of refactoring on a couple features that we have already nailed plus it also involves quite a lot of development time that we cannot afford at the moment. Like we have mentioned before, we're a very small team working on this title and we do not have endless resources. Therefore, we need to make some decisions sometimes that are not universally acclaimed by the players but they are necessary so we don't dig ourselves too deep in over-refactoring.
I am convinced that impossibility to loot enemies makes no sense from both game mechanics and "fluff" point of view. If you found it technically difficult, then you can try some workaround - Allow victorious model free loot action regardless of distance and circles of other friendly (not enemy,they should still block) models. This can represent how victor ripped off some trademark items (all that trinkets and stuff) from his foe during fatal blow.
With the last patch, we have revamped the loot distribution for victorious Warbands:
  • The Mission Rewards percentage automatically gathered after battle will now be based on your Warriors that are not Out of Action at the end of the fight. The changes will go as follow:
    1. -Normal: 4% per warrior alive
      -Hard: 5% per warrior alive
      -Brutal: 6% per warrior alive
      -Deadly: 7% per warrior alive
This represents exactly what you ask for. You are rewarded a certain amount of loot and wyrdstones remaining on the battlefield at the end of the battle. This feature is the workaround you are speaking of. As I have mentioned before on these forums, completing secondary objectives, particularly Marked for Death, should be part of your main strategy and you should plan your moves accordingly.

With all these topics clarified, I would just like to say that we are not saying we will NEVER consider improving these features. We simply have no plans on changing them in the near future, but if we decide to change or revamp one of them, we will communicate our intentions via Patch Previews or other announcements. In the meantime, please do posts your ideas and constructive criticism about features you think needs improvements. We always read and we soak all the information you guys are giving us!
Good hunting in the streets of Mordheim!

-Drildgen

hroch

Postby hroch » 08 December 2015, 21:00

WARNING
Following lines are written by person, which is considered as headstrong.

I did not said that current deployment system should be discarded. I guess it is really good for gamepads. My intention is to extend it while keeping current function. Lets demonstrate on example. There are no spawn points bellow/above each other. They can be uniquely picked from above. so we could use beacon feature for this. Just add small check to place beacon code - checking if there is spawn point nearby (only according to horizontal coordinates) AND if the game is in deployment mode. If both conditions are yes, then place on that spawn pad warrior which is currently being deployed and Strategic view will be kept for next warrior being deployed. Long story short, player will click in map to place troops. You are not sure about this concept? Need more refactoring as such injection just increasing technical debt? No problem. Just create lab section in settings. There players can turn on and off experimental features like this. This will be also clear announcement that such features are not considered finished and no one will be mad if you will suspend them.

Looting Marked for Death - should be main strategy and planing frustrating? Should be gameplay irritating? I say no. But right now your advice is to send my beloved henchman to fight enemy one by one, simply because they can not loot him when they kill him like a team.

Regarding the team: I had the pleasure to work with several dev teams, some of them smaller than your team. Their games are quite popular those days (Not because of me, I do not want to steal credit). And 19 people is not small team, after all. YOU DON'T NEED 100+ DEVS TO MAKE GREAT GAME! Just ignore that little devil behind your shoulder saying that. I believe in you, guys
Gunslinger & Troubleshooter

Dragzal

Postby Dragzal » 09 December 2015, 08:11

I did not said that current deployment system should be discarded. I guess it is really good for gamepads.
Not really. I think all the system with the current map is painful (with gamepad). But still usable.
Looting Marked for Death - [...] But right now your advice is to send my beloved henchman to fight enemy one by one, simply because they can not loot him when they kill him like a team.
The advice is more : care about your positioning when you engage and hit order, don't fogret you can delay you turn. But, having automatically looting menu when you KO someone would be nice. It is one reason why i usually choose "Wyrdstone rush", more easy to complete for same bonus.

Evan_

Postby Evan_ » 09 December 2015, 10:19

Thank you for all the feedback Evan_ we, at Rogue Factor, really appreciate it.
Just as how your players appreciate your extensive replies. Guess it's time for me to re-emphasize that I'm just nitpicking about a great game, not listing crucial flaws. I mentioned things one gets used to pretty fast, yet I wated to word these while my impressions were fresh. I have to add that while voicing my concerns I'm also aware of the team's limited resources, and I trust you know better than us what to improve. Hope I was more helpful than rude.

Drildgen

Postby Drildgen » 09 December 2015, 15:42

Hello again hroch!! :)

First,
Lets demonstrate on example. There are no spawn points bellow/above each other. They can be uniquely picked from above...
In several deployment types, you warriors are spawned inside buildings and those spawn points are all on top of each others on 2 or 3 different layers. When you want to change or implement a feature, you have to think about every single different situations where the said feature could be problematic. It's not an easy task ;) The Strategy view has not been designed nor implemented to support the deployment system. While we do think it would be a nice feature to have, we currently have no plans on revamping the deployment system.
Looting Marked for Death - should be main strategy and planing frustrating? Should be gameplay irritating? I say no. But right now your advice is to send my beloved henchman to fight enemy one by one, simply because they can not loot him when they kill him like a team.
That is not what I have suggested, no ;)
Regarding the team: I had the pleasure to work with several dev teams, some of them smaller than your team. Their games are quite popular those days (Not because of me, I do not want to steal credit). And 19 people is not small team, after all. YOU DON'T NEED 100+ DEVS TO MAKE GREAT GAME! Just ignore that little devil behind your shoulder saying that. I believe in you, guys
We at Rogue Factor agree with everything you just mentioned here! Mordheim is being the perfect example of such statement!

On behalf of the whole team here, I would like to thank you for caring and making such an effort to make the game better!
Good hunting in the streets of Mordheim!

-Drildgen

thomas aagaard

Postby thomas aagaard » 09 December 2015, 15:54

The Hired Swords Union is quite strong in Mordheim! As all good Warband Manager must, you have to cover your Warriors' health insurance fees. After, if you don't pay their salary, they have the right to abandon your troops with their belongings. But if all dues are paid, you may fire injured units and keep the precious gear you lend them for battling for you. That clause is still under negotiations, you might wanna take advantage of it, as all good Warband Manager would! ;)
that is a bad excuse for a bad gamedesign.... The warhammer setting and especially Mordheim is very dark.
Taking all arms and equipment from a wounded solider, and kicking him out on the street to fend for himself would be very fitting to the setting.... You sorry excuse is not.

If you actually want to make the decision part of the game, add a system for warband moral... you take good care of the wounded, improve moral... at the cost of price.

And yes, the current deployment system is horrible... it is slow to use, it is cumbersome...
The same can be said about moving characters to reserves and back.

that said, I still have fun playing the game.
Thomas Aagaard
9th Stirland Regiment of Spears...

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 10 December 2015, 11:07

You say bad game design and then talk about it being fitting for the setting. These are two different things that aren't particularly related. If you want to talk realistic treatment of the setting, the idea that someone other than the guy wielding the sword or wearing the armour owns it is farcical.
"Sword for hire, sword not included".
Lol.

It's a game. There are abstractions like in all games.

Just pay the doctor and pay the warrior. I mean really, how hard is it? This whole issue is such a mountain made from a molehill I can't believe it. How strapped for cash are people? It's not like either medical bills or a day's wages are even that expensive. I just pay them every time without even thinking about it.

Marti

Postby Marti » 29 December 2015, 18:14

Hi,
I just want to report a mistake in the translation into Spanish.

In the weapon skill description said that "increase the chance to climb and jump by 4%". But the correct description is "Increase the parry chance by 4%" (in Spanish is "aumenta la probabilidad de parar un 4%)

Stevie980

Postby Stevie980 » 30 December 2015, 12:32

No deployment improvement?

I suggest you guys to rethink that stance towards this point, it is really annoying to deploy 10 soldiers in some maps where there are countless deploy spots...it should be really easier to do...auto-deployment is just suicide.

Marti

Postby Marti » 04 January 2016, 21:55

Another translation mistake.

Each turn of each PJ, in the combat log, you said "Inizia il turno di". This is Italian.

The correct way is "Inicia el turno de"

Regards

Return to “Feedbacks”