MP game crash on loading

This is the place to go when you want to report a bug that you encountered while playing Mordheim: City of the Damned.
Twahn

MP game crash on loading

Postby Twahn » 05 December 2015, 04:51

So, roped one of mates who'd owned the game for a while but never really played it into joining me in a game last night.

He's a dinosaur and runs a 32 bit rig. I spent about an hour talking him through warband creation and imparting my bountiful wisdom upon him before we were ready to hit the streets in a skirmish.

I hosted it up and in we go! We sit in the loading screen for a bit and then... game crashes for him. I get the defeat splash screen but it's not a real defeat. Back to the camp as if I'd never played (which i didn't of course).
We tried again. Same result. And again. Same.

So...

Is this likely due to 32 bit being unstable as mentioned when you brought it back?
Because consistently failing to even load I'd probably describe as more than unstable, though I know he can play the tutorials at least without issue...

Is there any hope for him?

Is it worth getting him to give you his log file?

Drildgen

Re: MP game crash on loading

Postby Drildgen » 08 December 2015, 18:58

Greetings Twahn,

Could you please tell your friend that we're almost in 2016 now? :P

... Hehehehe, all jokes aside, we have this topic here from the Technical Issues forums that explains the situation: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1247

Due to engine limitations, we cannot guarantee 100% support for the 32-bit OS machines.

Have you tried launching a skirmish in Quayside or Count Steinhardt's Palace? Let me know if these work out! :)
Good hunting in the streets of Mordheim!

-Drildgen

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 11 December 2015, 08:17

Lol! I'll add your voice to my own already reminding him what year it is. ;)

It won't be an issue much longer because I'm actually giving him a 64 bit machine tomorrow (because I'm, like, an amazing friend).

The latest I got from him on his issues is that he crashed in the 2nd tutorial so I don't think there's much hope for him even on what I'm guessing are low requirement maps that you suggested.

Drildgen

Postby Drildgen » 11 December 2015, 15:04

Any procedurally generated maps (yes that includes Tutorial 2 and 4 maps) are going to make his computer explode since there is a lot of data that needs to be processed by the CPU when it loads, and I mean a LOT. This is also one of the reason why we all (and yes, especially us at Rogue Factor) think the loading times are a bit on the extreme side... While we're working diligently on loading optimization, we are still limited on the actions we want to make at this time because of the Unity engine.

As soon as we have more development on the issue, we will let you guys know! :)

-Drildgen

Morjax

Postby Morjax » 11 December 2015, 21:12

Any procedurally generated maps (yes that includes Tutorial 2 and 4 maps) are going to make his computer explode since there is a lot of data that needs to be processed by the CPU when it loads, and I mean a LOT. This is also one of the reason why we all (and yes, especially us at Rogue Factor) think the loading times are a bit on the extreme side... While we're working diligently on loading optimization, we are still limited on the actions we want to make at this time because of the Unity engine.

The random gen is something of interest to me. I know just about nothing about it, but I wonder how games like Minecraft can take a seed and load it up with relative rapidity. There's simply less to put in play, and I guess they use chunking (loading on the fly), so there's an advantage there?

Cheers!

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 11 December 2015, 22:24

Had no idea any of the tutorial maps were procedurally generated. Been so long since I did them. :)

Sounds like it's all the level designer's fault? You guys should find that guy, whoever he is, and make him eat wyrdstone, the bastard. :P

Seriously though, love the level design. Maybe give him a pass. This time...

Drildgen

Postby Drildgen » 14 December 2015, 16:33

Hahaha... I'm sure you read somewhere who the Level Designer is... :P

-Drildgen

Return to “Bug Report”