AMD GPU? Crimson Drivers Crashing and Stuttering?I got a FIX

Basic information about troubleshooting problems that you could encounter while playing the game.
crimsonsun

AMD GPU? Crimson Drivers Crashing and Stuttering?I got a FIX

Postby crimsonsun » 19 March 2016, 07:34

OK so this has been a issue plaguing me for months and its what stopped me from being able to play Mordheim as I was crashing in more games than I was finishing. The issue is a Driver crash, leading to a black screen which will either recover if you have added a response delay into your GPU registry or if not you'll need to reboot your system to get your GPU working again.

The Extent of the crash, stuttering and generally poor performance is linked to the GPU bascially the crashes seem to be harder for 280/290s and 380s/390s while 270/370 is generally suffering from poor performance rather than hard crashes. The cause is obviously Crimson drivers (knew it had to be that or Windows 10 really) though all the help threads and advice just tells you to make sure your doing a clean install and some more complex go into adding a delay into the GPU's registry if your on Windows 10 because this is missing and is worth doing anyway. However the issue is so dumb its silly and is all about power management throttling the GPU leading to stutters, poor performance and crashes following any heavy GPU use.

AMD Crimson removes the factory default Power Settings for your card and puts a high core memory clock as minimum (mine was set to 1350Mhz min, when for example my Memory clock when not gaming is now 150mhz! This was why I'd been reporting marked temp increases). This basically leads to power throttling following gpu heavy processes as the minimum default isn't enough to power a multi core gpu under a heavy load and the system is constantly trying to steal back power away from the card causing stutters, low FPS, and in the case of more power hungry cards actually causing several gpu cores to shut down due to lack of power, which will cause a fatal driver error but has recovered black screen as the system resets the gpu. Note: if you don't have a response delay in the registry then the GPU wont reset and you'll just black screen and will need to do a system reboot because the gpu didn't respond fast enough due to being switch off due to lack of power!

The fix is so sodding easy, just go into Crimson Settings, Graphic Settings, Global Overdrive and put the power limit to max (NOTE THIS DOES NOT COUNT AS OVERCLOCKING so your warranty is still valid) which will be either +20% or +50%, click apply and your done. That's it.. Problem solved.

Regarding Crimson its worth paying attention to its Fan management because I found it wouldn't even begin to push my fans beyond 50% even when running games on Ultra settings and this was causing temps of 90 degrees (105 is the limit) when benchmarking. The second thing to watch is the minimum memory clock being put so sodding high because that is putting a constant increase and strain upon your system when less than 10% of that memory is being used, this again is causing a generally higher system temp which is something worth keeping an eye on. Finally really pay attention to Frame Rate Targeting Control, this is a fantastic feature because it cuts a huge amount of wasted GPU processing when playing less intensive games, basically without it your GPU will render the game at its fastest possible frame rate but in some games this can be 200-300 frames per second which is 100-200 frames per second than you need it to, thus your card is being strained by processing something that's utterly lost due to monitor capabilities, so put targeting control to 50-60 frames and that's all your card will be processing reducing your strain, temps and again increasing overall performance.

As to why Power Saving' settings are being implemented on these cards its all about making them more marketable as well as for Laptop and tablets though its implementation in desktop cards is questionable though I personally believe the altering of the factory default power settings is due to a complete fuck up on AMD's behalf with the crimson drivers, they may have simply not considered that the cards have a higher default minimum power requirement or Crimson Drivers just don't allow for heavy power consumption as standard which is why people are getting such poor benchmarks and gaming performance from very powerful cards at the moment, either way its a mess but a fixable one, though it's taken me since November to solve this...

Thanks for reading, hope it helps..
crimsonsun

Cablenexus

Re: AMD GPU? Crimson Drivers Crashing and Stuttering?I got a

Postby Cablenexus » 19 March 2016, 17:11

Hi,

Any idea if this is working with the latest (16 march) Crimson 16.3.1 hotfix package as well?
I managed to select the settings you mentioned above in my global settings and applied them.
My game crashes while loading as soon as the intro logo for Rogue shows up.
The returning error is Windows error "Mordheim.exe stopped working".

I tried everything mentioned in the troubleshooting page as well. Delete the registry entry, try to start the game on lower settings, verify files, delete my profile in user>mordheim folder etc but I cannot even get the game started.

AMD R7 250, Windows 10 pro 64, 6GB ram Mordheim both DLC on Steam

crimsonsun

Postby crimsonsun » 21 March 2016, 09:23

Yeah 16.3.2 beta drivers installed. I will say however these crashes were during games not at the start up which says to me your issue is something different. If you think its graphics you should head over to AMD support though it might be RAM related so I'd suggest a mem test.

Cablenexus

Postby Cablenexus » 25 March 2016, 02:37

Hi,

Thank you. I have a Steam library with over 300+ working games and with non of them I have RAM problems or problems with the newest AMD drivers. It only happens when I start this game. I can see the Rogue logo and then I get a Windows error pops up. Mordheim.exe stopped working.

I decide to uninstall all my AMD drivers with the AMD uninstall tool. I cleaned my registry with CCleaner and installed the previous 15.12 Crimson driver.
As expected I can start and play the game normally.

I uninstalled the 15.12 Crimson driver and installed the 16.3.1 Crimson driver again since I know the game is working on my system now.
(btw where can I find 16.3.2 drivers?).
As soon if the Rogue logo shows up I get the same Windows error message again. Mordheim.exe stopped working.

So with Crimson 15.12 no problem. With 16.3.1 cannot even start the game.

joshvito

Postby joshvito » 25 March 2016, 03:15

If you are having this problem, you should fill out the feedback form on AMD's website so they know we are having an issue.
http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D26493BFB9

Cablenexus

Postby Cablenexus » 25 March 2016, 13:22

Reported the issue at AMD. Thank you.

joshvito

Postby joshvito » 25 March 2016, 17:32

@Crimsonsun, is this video consistent with the problem you were having?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxLnLMPM1nU

ali303

Re: AMD GPU? Crimson Drivers Crashing and Stuttering?I got a FIX

Postby ali303 » 06 February 2017, 20:34

THANK U

This worked on my gigabyte 7870.

I could not figure this stuttering out. was going my head in. Was thinking a needed a new card

Return to “Technical Support”