How to make game for myself harder

General discussion with other Mordheim: City of the Damned players.
Tirisfal

How to make game for myself harder

Postby Tirisfal » 24 November 2016, 15:41

Topic my seems abysmal to some people who says that this game is too hard. I must first say that I agree that this game is quite hard - especially in the beginning. But with some thinking, research and after some time spent playing it get quite easy and problem is that tactical games like that - once they get easy they are starting to get boring for me. Especially that there is no really a great story in campaign here. I do not wish to play in PvP so that is not a solution for me. I wonder if anyone out there has any ideas on what rules I could impose on myself to make game harder. I could play only deadly missions but that is not really a solution - games offer me easier missions why shouldn't I take them. For now I decided to not use scouts and choose only missions that are available.
On the other note - is there any development comments on some additional difficulty level for veteran players in plan?

Also while I'm at it - I think that this game suffers from not having any real reason to improve your warband. I mean I do get exp and skills and so on - but what is the reason to get them if when I fight later it also increase strength of my opponents - so I don't get really rewarded for my wins. And it's not like I get better loot for fighting stronger opponents cause now game treats previously deadly encounters as normal.

Would like to know if anyone shares that opinion.

(Just to note this - I really love this game - that's why I would like to be even more more better :) )

Jisur

Re: How to make game for myself harder

Postby Jisur » 24 November 2016, 17:52

There is allot of things to do to make it harder :)

1. Deny yourself of backtracking.
2. Dont fire henchmen no matter how badly they get injured.
3. Only send wyrdstone for shipment request.
4. Dont use impressive (for AI tends to get them stuck almost everywher)
5. Generally do not exploit AI predictable behaivor

Just to name few from the top of my head.

Tirisfal

Postby Tirisfal » 24 November 2016, 19:44

Thanks for ideas.

I'm not sure but I assume by backtracking you mean going back on my movement right? Yeah that sounds fun :).
I'm usually keeping henchmen even with injuries.... though sometimes they just needed to go - I had no heart to send them back to battlefield again :) .

I will probably add few of those (sending wyrdstone only for shipment sounds.... challenging :) )

Any thoughts about my other "complaints"?

Jisur

Postby Jisur » 24 November 2016, 20:10

Thanks for ideas.

I'm not sure but I assume by backtracking you mean going back on my movement right? Yeah that sounds fun :).
I'm usually keeping henchmen even with injuries.... though sometimes they just needed to go - I had no heart to send them back to battlefield again :) .

I will probably add few of those (sending wyrdstone only for shipment sounds.... challenging :) )

Any thoughts about my other "complaints"?
Backtracking, yes retracing movement. In PvP it is adjustable and is often set to one which I think it should be :)

I agree that once you get a warband and warriors to rank 10, fully skill/spell/gear/rune them and finish the story mission there is pretty much nothing to play for unless you like to try different builds while plowing through the AI. Once you reach that point I usually just make a new one and start doing very different build with a different warband.
Once you have put 200+ hours in the game the AI part in my opinion looses it flare. This is where the PvP part starts to shine. I mean there you start to feel some real challange and extreem punishments. The game does not have a good matchmaking system at all so there you have to find a good groups or communities to find games. But as you stated that pvp is not for you then I wount say more about that.

The difficulties don't really say to much in my opinion. Except when you get ambushed/sneak attacked or a deamon just charges you the first turn. As I said once you put allot of hours in this game you know exaclty how the AI opperates and can always take tactical placement or exploit them getting stuck on ledges or what not.
In the beginning, till like rank 3+, the difficulty matters a little bit :)

But these are just my musing :)

Blue shoe

Postby Blue shoe » 26 November 2016, 22:07

How about never using the "delay" function.

Tirisfal

Postby Tirisfal » 27 November 2016, 21:02

That could be interesting but it takes part of strategizing from the game which I don't want. I want game to be challenging but in such way that I need to try my best using every strategy I know to win.

Expalphalog

Postby Expalphalog » 01 December 2016, 01:53

On regular non-campaign missions, never check the overhead map. This is a great way to make the game a lot more difficult while also adding immersion. Combine this with the "no backtracking" rule to make every step truly count.

Another variant way to play is by semi-randomizing skills. Going truly random is just madness because you will seriously gimp your warbands, but semi-random adds difficulty by stopping your own ability to min-max. For example, when you have skill points to spend, make a list of 6 skills available to you and roll a die to determine which one to buy. Since you're picking the six, you can keep from getting any truly worthless skills but since you're randomizing, you won't fall back on your inate desire to always take the best option.

Just two ideas.

Morjax

Postby Morjax » 02 December 2016, 14:58

I agree that you'd likely be able to crank up the difficulty a good deal by
  • Never firing injured warriors no matter what (yes, even stupid units!)
  • Never checking the overview map. Delete the key binding or move it to some weird key so you don't accidentally cheat
  • Never backtrack. Every blue pill spent is spent and cannot be taken back.
Anecdotally, Have you checked out GamekNight's Deadly Challenge, and D.I.E. Challenge? He ranked them as follows:
[*] Restriction-free PVE 2/5 star difficulty
[*] Deadly challenge PVE 3/5 star difficulty
[*] D.I.E. challenge PVE 4/5 star difficulty
[*] PVP play 5/5 star difficulty

So if you really are serious about cranking up the difficulty, start scheduling PVP matches for keeps and don't allow your band any PVE missions. Humans can come up with some devious builds, surprising tactics, and never get stuck on a hunk of building or door frame. Generally, playing PVP, your opponent makes very few mistakes (whereas PVE the AI will do some truly silly things sometimes).

Tirisfal

Postby Tirisfal » 05 December 2016, 13:12

Thanks everyone for answering - I think I'll go with new warband with Deadly challenge. I guess still my biggest issue is that difficulty level does not really increase throughout the game since every deadly mission is as hard as previous one - no matter how crippled your team is since enemy will be adjusted to match your team quality wise.

Morjax

Postby Morjax » 06 December 2016, 15:58

Thanks everyone for answering - I think I'll go with new warband with Deadly challenge. I guess still my biggest issue is that difficulty level does not really increase throughout the game since every deadly mission is as hard as previous one - no matter how crippled your team is since enemy will be adjusted to match your team quality wise.
Please keep us posted here with Deadly Challenge results! How hard do you find it? Greatest successes and toughest defeats.

I believe the Deadly Challenge will indeed get more difficult, because it scales as a percent of your warband rating, so the gap will grow larger as you level up. At deadly, the AI gets something like a 45% health and damage boost. +45% of 300 adds up faster than +45% of 100... ;)

Keep us posted!

Return to “General Discussion”