Thoughts on DLC?

General discussion with other Mordheim: City of the Damned players.
Mikkel

Re: Thoughts on DLC?

Postby Mikkel » 12 April 2016, 13:10

Well I must admit that the "new hero per side" DLC idea is wearing a little thin - though not through any fault of its own.

The fault lies in the fact that (IMO) Mordheim is not at all a struggle between just two sides: "Order" vs "Destruction" is a gross simplification. Some hero/warband combinations makes very little sense - particularly with the Sisters.

Having a mercenary Smuggler join the pious Sisters is bad enough, but a priest of a rival deity... makes even less sense. Were it a warrior-priest of Sigmar, it might be acceptable, but a priest of Ulric... woah. Okay, war makes for strange bed-fellows or whatever the saying goes, but still. I can't help but feel that these kinds of fluff-problems will only get worse as time goes on.

So here's to hoping this hinted-at "bigger DLC" will do something to address the needlessly binary setup the game currently has - needlessly in the sense that in practice it's obviously a free-for-all, with so-called "Order" warbands happily beating up other Order warbands even of the same faction, and vice versa. Which, again, kinda makes sense for everyone but the Sisters. Those gals really are the odd ones out, lore-wise.

muerteamigo

Postby muerteamigo » 12 April 2016, 13:37

Again? You must be kidding me... two more heroes... that's it. Are we heading toward and endless series of micro-transactions? This is the way you wanna play it? Just look at Warmachine Tactics and the dozen of individual units sold as DLC... that ended well, don't you think?

Time to retire my warbands - I'll look for the inevitable 'Humble Bundle all included for $1' in a year or two.

El muerto

Postby El muerto » 12 April 2016, 15:37

They are making a bigger dlc as we speak! If you dont like the fact that they are adding content, dont buy it, if it isnt correct fluffwise, dont use em in that particullar warband.
Imo the biggest thing that kills games is that ppl keep complaining, nothing is ever good enough. So developers start rushing things and giving crap stuff. Be glad that this game is awesome , it has some flaws but which game doesnt, and that they listen to the players. Atm i have 68 hours playtime with 1 warband, this means ive played it more than 99procent of the games i have ever played and i got 3 more warbands to go. By the time im sick of this game they have made dozens of bigger dlcs.
What i wanne say is, be gratefull and enjoy this awesome game!

Mikkel

Postby Mikkel » 13 April 2016, 03:09

They are making a bigger dlc as we speak! If you dont like the fact that they are adding content, dont buy it, if it isnt correct fluffwise, dont use em in that particullar warband.
Imo the biggest thing that kills games is that ppl keep complaining, nothing is ever good enough. So developers start rushing things and giving crap stuff. Be glad that this game is awesome , it has some flaws but which game doesnt, and that they listen to the players. Atm i have 68 hours playtime with 1 warband, this means ive played it more than 99procent of the games i have ever played and i got 3 more warbands to go. By the time im sick of this game they have made dozens of bigger dlcs.
What i wanne say is, be gratefull and enjoy this awesome game!
Oh, I'm sorry, I must have misread the thread title. Could have sworn it was "thoughts on DLC", not "praise and abject love of all DLC no matter what", but there you go. My eyesight must be getting really bad.

Seriously though, pointing out what I see as a major flaw in the setup is not going to kill the game. If Rogue Factor disagrees with me (and they probably do, given their choices so far), they can and will ignore me. That's fine, you can never please everybody. That's not going to stop me from voicing my opinion. And for what it's worth, this forum being rather... dead... is going to kill the game faster than a few people giving suggestions on what they think are flaws.

Incidentally, this game does have the potential to be awesome (which is why I backed it way back when they first announced it), but it's not there yet. Accepting that and having fun anyway is indeed a good idea (and I know I am!), that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with trying to improve on things.

Jace11

Postby Jace11 » 16 April 2016, 10:20

The latest DLC units have been named in the game files for several months now (though I had no idea what Doomweaver was when I saw it). I didn't want to post anything to spoil the surprise. The files also make it very clear that another warband IS BEING WORKED ON. With each patch, I notice extra bits being added etc.

VanHelsing

Postby VanHelsing » 23 April 2016, 22:51

It's ok I guess. I don't mind the addition of new units for purchase. I just wish they would come in bigger packs. In fact I was kinda hoping for more core warbands to be added.

Sheep

Postby Sheep » 25 April 2016, 21:08

I've only tried the doom weaver, I will try the others if and when gaps appear in my warbands. The minor problem I have is the hero slots on the war band are already have plenty of options (3 heroes, an impressive, 2 promoted henchman types and now 2 new hired swords to fit 3 or 4 slots) While I have 2 choices for one leader slot or 2 choices for 5 henchman slots. I'm sure more options will be here in time, but fitting the new options to areas we can fill straight away would be nice.

Mikkel

Postby Mikkel » 26 April 2016, 03:25

I've only tried the doom weaver, I will try the others if and when gaps appear in my warbands. The minor problem I have is the hero slots on the war band are already have plenty of options (3 heroes, an impressive, 2 promoted henchman types and now 2 new hired swords to fit 3 or 4 slots) While I have 2 choices for one leader slot or 2 choices for 5 henchman slots. I'm sure more options will be here in time, but fitting the new options to areas we can fill straight away would be nice.
I would tend to agree, more heroes are not nearly as needed as more henchmen, at least at this point.

Of course more customization of the units we already have would be even more welcome than either... but you can't easily sell that as DLC, and this being a GW game, we're unlikely to see modding officially supported. It's more likely modding would be aggressively fought. Unfortunate and somewhat perplexing given GWs roots in painting and customizing your own minis, but if their past video games history is anything to go by this is the most likely outcome.

Henchmen are the backbone of my Warband(s), various heroes come and go, but the core 4-5 henchmen stick around, rotating in and out as missions dictate. I suppose henchmen might make for a somewhat harder sell though, as they are - by design - not too flashy.

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 29 April 2016, 09:56

Well I must admit that the "new hero per side" DLC idea is wearing a little thin - though not through any fault of its own.

The fault lies in the fact that (IMO) Mordheim is not at all a struggle between just two sides: "Order" vs "Destruction" is a gross simplification. Some hero/warband combinations makes very little sense - particularly with the Sisters.

Having a mercenary Smuggler join the pious Sisters is bad enough, but a priest of a rival deity... makes even less sense. Were it a warrior-priest of Sigmar, it might be acceptable, but a priest of Ulric... woah. Okay, war makes for strange bed-fellows or whatever the saying goes, but still. I can't help but feel that these kinds of fluff-problems will only get worse as time goes on.

So here's to hoping this hinted-at "bigger DLC" will do something to address the needlessly binary setup the game currently has - needlessly in the sense that in practice it's obviously a free-for-all, with so-called "Order" warbands happily beating up other Order warbands even of the same faction, and vice versa. Which, again, kinda makes sense for everyone but the Sisters. Those gals really are the odd ones out, lore-wise.
Completely agree with your thoughts on this, and it's a shame. Upside is that you can ignore the options that don't sit right for you fluff wise without issue

At this stage it would be very difficult to change the way hired swords work however, and almost as difficult to do away with the similarly wack smugglers den rewards (my skaven warband has a human mutant hanging with it? Please. That makes no sense). Considering the monumental grind to get a hero and henchman from a different faction, people would complain if it was changed or removed I would think. Not too big of a deal though in my opinion.
Changing the nature of DLC that people explicitly paid for so that, for instance, the wolf priest was suddenly merc only, would be a nightmare though.

Mikkel

Postby Mikkel » 30 April 2016, 08:11

I'm not saying they should change it - that would be impractical for many reasons. I'm just highlighting it as an example of the kind of lore problems you get by thinking of Mordheim as two factions battling it out. It just doesn't work - hell, it barely works in an MMO, where there are actual practical reasons to have it setup like that.

I can, as you say, try to ignore the bits I don't like - and indeed I will. The latest patch means that the AI warbands will start utilizing the DLC heroes (which in principle is a good thing, don't get me wrong!), but the consequence is that there's only so much that can be done to ignore it.

In any case, it's development effort that I personally get no benefit from (and thus have much less incentive to support financially). Which is indeed a shame. I'm not expecting anything to change on the basis of my posts on a forum, but I do think it's valuable to let a developer know when you don't agree with them, as long as it's done in a (hopefully) respectful and constructive manner.

Return to “General Discussion”