New and have a number of questions

General discussion with other Mordheim: City of the Damned players.
Relic

New and have a number of questions

Postby Relic » 04 December 2015, 08:32

Hi, As the subject states, I am new and have a number of questions.

I have gotten my band to lvl 4, and I understand the AI warbands matches the number and types of unit to the player, so if i bring in a team of 6, AI will bring in 6. If I bring in 2 heroes, AI brings in 2 heroes...etc

So at lvl 4, I can finally hire a champion type hero. Up until now all deployment was units of 5 for me, I hired him at lvl 0 for 50 gold, and brought him into the team. Got lucky and started out in tight formation, but dang, i cant keep him alive, in fact, the extra hero that the AI had managed to get everyone except 1 member knocked out or killed with various degrees of injury. It seems at some point, hiring heroes and warriors at lvl 0 is simply a lead boot, the AI matches the number and type, but does it match the levels as well?

I guess in hindsight, I could have removed one hero to keep from growing beyond 5 unit since I am able to win the previous 15 or so deployments with just 5. But then my main hero will stop leveling as well. Does the warband level have anything to do with enemy deployment? As in, if I put in 5 lvl 0 characters, will the AI do the same if the difficulty is at normal?

Do you guys have any hints on looting? I know u can go back and forth from picking up to running it back to the wagon, but doing that with enemies converging to your position is pretty risky if not suicidal. To be honest, I have only reach the secondary objectives when the mission requires a name tag, if it is about picking things up and looting treasures, I have 0 success.

Icons, what do they mean, sure I know the arm means strength, but some icons are obscure and as I did not play the board game, I do not know what they are. Is there a legend or guide?

I have begun to find blue color items with rune slots, but I cannot buy any runes, all of them said the rune has not been researched. How do I begin to research?

Is there a reason to do brutal or above missions if the loot is roughly the same? I normally choose missions base on treasures rating, and hard would already give me a underdog bonus, does brutal or deadly give bigger bonuses?

Spell caster heroes for empire.. whats with that blinding light? If the objective is to kill the opponent, I am having a hard time justifying some light that effects 5% vs direct damage, so then, as a weaker damage dealer at least in the beginning compare to youngblood heroes, why would anyone pay 10 more gold and use mages?

% of hits, does it take into account weapon penalty such as most two handed weapons?

Dual wield, what are the benefits? At level 4, my henchmen has 4 actions, if I have them on weapon + shield, they should be able to hit twice, but if they have dual wield, they can only hit once due to that tiring augment and -25% damage.

I still have more questions as I am learning this game from scratch, but this should be a good start for me if anyone would be kind enough to give me some pointers. Part of it I bet is cause I bought this via steam, and so there is no manual for me to look up. If anyone has some extra pointers for me such as team loadouts and whatnot, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Twahn

Re: New and have a number of questions

Postby Twahn » 04 December 2015, 08:55

Okay...

The AI matches the number of henchmen and heroes (and impressives) and then also matches (and slightly exceeds) your warband rating. The AI warband won't have a level 0 rookie like you do, but all their guys will theoretically be slightly worse than they would otherwise if your new guy was all leveled up (i.e. they'd then have a higher warband rating to play with).
Hope that makes sense.

With looting, I must admit that I strongly preference wyrdstone rush objectives and almost always complete them successfully. I think they are far and away the easiest and also the most rewarding (wyrdstones are money).
My only tips would be to take note of the mission deployment description. It'll describe how both warbands will set up. If it says one is clustered around their wagon and the other is split into three teams, and then you're split into three teams, you know exactly where the enemy is.
Have a good look at the map when you manual deploy (because you always select manual) and identify where to stones are at. They are often clumped together or at least have large concentrations close to each other. Look at how many you need and figure out where you'd need to be to get them. Try to deploy your guys so they can get them as soon as possible and also be heading toward either each other or a common meeting point. Use your knowledge of the enemy location if you have this intel to figure out how much time you have and whether you can safely send a guy alone to get remote stuff.
You really shouldn't have any trouble collecting what you need most of the time.

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 04 December 2015, 09:15

Icons.
If you go to the skill screen you can see the icons and the stats that they represent together in one place. You just have to learn them, though they're pretty intuitive I think. Tabletop experience won't help you as the computer game mechanics are entirely their own and not the same as the tabletop game.

Runes.
You need to acquire the recipes to learn how to enchant weapons with it. You can find them in missions or be rewarded by factions. Don't stress though, they're pretty rare and you will be swimming in blue items long before you learn many or even any. Patience. ;)

Why do brutal?
The only additional reward if the loot is the same is the underdog xp bonus. +1 for hard, +2 for brutal etc.

Why for warlocks?
He's different. And yeah he sucks at first (and arguably forever).

% to hit.
It takes into account everything. Press left ctrl to toggle on/off a breakdown of all modifiers affecting actions. I always have it on.

Why for dual wield?
The benefits are more damage than one handed and stacked bonuses from the weapons (i.e. you get the full weapon bonuses from both weapons) which is the best way to get large initiative bonuses for instance. Remember that the -25% damage is applied after the damage for the two weapons is added together, so it's still fairly high.
And yes, at 4 OP you can only attack twice with a one hander. You start with 3 (for henchmen) which is one attack with anything, and will eventually get 5. Managing a warrior's OP may change what weapons you prefer for him over his career.

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 04 December 2015, 09:20

Hope those answers helped. :)

Fire more questions if you've got them and let me know if I don't make sense anywhere.

Check out this excellent guide from Stymie Jackson while you're at it. He knows his stuff.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =463157178

MiniaAr

Postby MiniaAr » 04 December 2015, 09:21

Hi, As the subject states, I am new and have a number of questions.

I have gotten my band to lvl 4, and I understand the AI warbands matches the number and types of unit to the player, so if i bring in a team of 6, AI will bring in 6. If I bring in 2 heroes, AI brings in 2 heroes...etc

So at lvl 4, I can finally hire a champion type hero. Up until now all deployment was units of 5 for me, I hired him at lvl 0 for 50 gold, and brought him into the team. Got lucky and started out in tight formation, but dang, i cant keep him alive, in fact, the extra hero that the AI had managed to get everyone except 1 member knocked out or killed with various degrees of injury. It seems at some point, hiring heroes and warriors at lvl 0 is simply a lead boot, the AI matches the number and type, but does it match the levels as well?
It matches the type, but not the levels. Basically, the ennemy warband is going to have an average level close to yours, but all their characters will be probably higher level than your lvl0. Therefore, there is a need to babysit newcomers, and some loss is possible. You can avoid this by recruiting an already leveld hired sword (lvl 2-3), but of course it's more expensive. You'll have this issue again when you recruit an Impressive lvl0, who will be matched by an Impressive lvl3-4 or more by the AI (when all your guys are lvl 5-6). Be careful and act accordingly.
I guess in hindsight, I could have removed one hero to keep from growing beyond 5 unit since I am able to win the previous 15 or so deployments with just 5. But then my main hero will stop leveling as well. Does the warband level have anything to do with enemy deployment? As in, if I put in 5 lvl 0 characters, will the AI do the same if the difficulty is at normal?
If you have 5 lvl0, the AI is probably going to have 5lvl 0s as well, or maybe 1lvl1 if you go overboard with secondary weapon (they all add rating, don't use them when not necessary).
Do you guys have any hints on looting? I know u can go back and forth from picking up to running it back to the wagon, but doing that with enemies converging to your position is pretty risky if not suicidal. To be honest, I have only reach the secondary objectives when the mission requires a name tag, if it is about picking things up and looting treasures, I have 0 success.
I like wyrdstone rushes at the beginning, they're usually easier to achieve at first. Taking the idol is much harder in the beginning, as you usually cannot affort to let one of your unit not fight. If you have the opportunity to go back to your wagon to unload, do it, at least this loot is safe. The AI will only converge if they know where you are, if you've got a lot of loot and are close to the wagon, unloading fast isn't bad.
Icons, what do they mean, sure I know the arm means strength, but some icons are obscure and as I did not play the board game, I do not know what they are. Is there a legend or guide?
I think you can moseover or click the icons to see what is the effect of each stat.
I have begun to find blue color items with rune slots, but I cannot buy any runes, all of them said the rune has not been researched. How do I begin to research?
Runes are like loot. You have a better chance to find them in Brutal and Deadly missions. You can also get them as a reward for completing optional objectives.
Is there a reason to do brutal or above missions if the loot is roughly the same? I normally choose missions base on treasures rating, and hard would already give me a underdog bonus, does brutal or deadly give bigger bonuses?
Loot is higher and usually better in Brutal/Deadly. Also, underdog bonus scales: +1 for hard, +2 for Brutal, +3 for Deadly.
Spell caster heroes for empire.. whats with that blinding light? If the objective is to kill the opponent, I am having a hard time justifying some light that effects 5% vs direct damage, so then, as a weaker damage dealer at least in the beginning compare to youngblood heroes, why would anyone pay 10 more gold and use mages?
Yeah Blinding light is kind of meh. I prefer recruiting casters already with spell points, so that I can give them another spell from the get go. For Warlocks, I'll recommand Lightning strike. They can be really good as a ranged magical damage dealer. Range damage is safer than melee, and compared to marksmen, magic resistance and usually lower on ennemies than range resistance.
Dual wield, what are the benefits? At level 4, my henchmen has 4 actions, if I have them on weapon + shield, they should be able to hit twice, but if they have dual wield, they can only hit once due to that tiring augment and -25% damage.
Exactly. Henchemnmen dual wielding is better when they have 5OP. At 4OP, you lose one attack, thus I prefer one hand + shield or one hand only, for additional dodge dchances.
I still have more questions as I am learning this game from scratch, but this should be a good start for me if anyone would be kind enough to give me some pointers. Part of it I bet is cause I bought this via steam, and so there is no manual for me to look up. If anyone has some extra pointers for me such as team loadouts and whatnot, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at those guides, they're more than helpful.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =463157178
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =534564400

Evan_

Postby Evan_ » 04 December 2015, 09:39

Some questons have left for me...

Looting the stones: I feel some warbands have easier time than others. Skavens can cover huge distances, so even if I send important units to scavenge, they usually still can get to the fight as soon as it breaks out. It requires forethought with other bands. I usually plan where the fighting will be at the very start of the round: I pick a street or square closer to my vagon than the opponents, send my ranged troops to nearby buildings, and send the heavies to guard the doors and ramps. Heroes are often fast enough to run for nearby stones while henchmen are positioning. If there's a big cluster of loot, I just plan the fight to happen there. And if the chosen place allows bottlenecking, or if I feel I'll have an easy match, I send 1-2 guys to only loot. Also at wyrdstone rush, the fewer stones are on the map, the fewer you have to collect. The 'poor' ones are the easiest.

Harder missions give more stones, but the increased XP reward is my main incentive of picking them. Usually the tougher opponents mean that secondary objectives will get a lower priority. I will totally ignore the stones when I have to beat a brutal or deadly foe. If I need money or a shipment, I rather pick a normal wyrdstone rush. BTW: in my opinion, a normal map where one band can get scattered or split to 3 groups is harder than a hard or brutal match where teams deploy by their wagon.

Low-level mercenary warlocks are indeed pretty lackluster - Blinding Light feels to be the weakest starter magic. But later they can learn Lightning Bolt and Fireball - the strongest direct damage spells of the game. They get awesome when they start flinging those.

The first enchantments are unlocked at level 3 of the smuggler groups.

The icons of the 'small' character sheet are also on the big one., so you can find what corresponds to what.

I feel dual wield is pretty identical to using two handed weapons. At the start, I tend to use those on units with 3 or 5 OP. If OP is an even number, I prefer weapon+shield. Guess maces and axes are the best to raise hit-chance, and what else one needs at the beginning? It matters less later on: you will use the best quality blue or purple weapons you find anyways.

EDIT: Mehh, ninja'd. Posting this stuff anyways.

Astralwyrm

Postby Astralwyrm » 04 December 2015, 10:47

The icons represent each of the stats on the left hand side. They are in the exact same order, more strength unlocks more skills and masteries for heroes/impressives/leaders in the strength category. Strength, Toughness, Agility, Leadership, Intelligence, Alertness, Weapon skill, Ballistic skill, Accuracy.

Relic

Postby Relic » 08 December 2015, 03:01

Thanks for all the replies, they have been extremely helpful.

Some more questions:

Parry, I have gotten a member to have 109% and I know the hard cap is at 95%. What I wanted to know is does my extra % gets used to counter moves that reduce parry. If a move does -10% parry, and I have 109 with hard cap at 95, would my parry stay at 95% or would my parry be 85%?

Parry II, are there weapons types that works against parry? Even at 95% I seem to have a hard time parrying hammers and flails(those darn sisters).

Counter Attack, how is that triggered, I generally use parry stance or web of swords, but the counter isn't always happening.

Successful Dodge but still take damage, is that a bug?

Magic, how to make it powerful, my Ogre impressive is getting hit by non critical spell hits at 80ish dmg per casting(sister of sigma impressive), my mage is only able to fling 30ish via lightning strike at 14 int. Either I am missing something or mages for empire is extremely under power.

Daemons(yellow icon), what are the condition that spawns them, and do they attack randomly at whatever party they find? I ran into the crab claw lady several times that attacked my band, but on one fight I saw something seem to be fighting the enemy warband with stench of nurgal and doing damage to them.

The last one I have isn't a question, but more of a bug. My lowly level 4 gunner was able to kill off a Ogre by getting its attention, then ran into a normal entrance house and start shooting. It took a long while, but every round the giant thing just keep trying to enter the room but can't reach its prey.

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 08 December 2015, 03:31

Parry?
Yep.

Parry II?
Some weapons do, yeah, like spears. Also, some skills do. And don't forget that ALL warriors will mitigate some of your parry or dodge chance just from their stats (mouse over stats in your character sheet for details).
The big one though is armbands. They completely negate parry. Anyone who looks like they bearing you with their hands will be using armbands. So possessed, spawn, rat ogre etc.

Counter attack?
You need to have 2 OP to counter attack, or 1 if you have web of steel up.

Dodge bug?
Graphical bug yeah. There is no damage done but the number still floats up. I think that's what you're talking about yeah?

Magic?
High int pumps up spell damage and mastery of a spell will double the damage. There are probably items and such that help too. Dunno.

Daemons?
Brutal and deadly missions MAY contain them. And yeah, they attack everyone.

Rat ogre retarded?
Yeah. Devs are will aware. It's a common complaint with their AI. Hopefully they can figure a fix.

MrPyro

Postby MrPyro » 08 December 2015, 10:31

Parry?
Yep.

Counter attack?
You need to have 2 OP to counter attack, or 1 if you have web of steel up.
Some slight corrections/clarifications on these answers

Parry, yes, the 95% cap is applied after any negative modifiers are accounted for, so having a parry above 95% will help to offset enemies with high Str, Strong Blow, spears, etc.

Counter attack costs your normal attack cost in OP (normally 2, but if you have been attacking with a two-handed weapon on your own turn then the Tiring effect will still apply, and any wyrdstone/trap curses that increase attack cost will as well). A successful parry reduces the OP cost of a counterattack by 1, but only if you take it immediately after the parry succeeded.

Return to “General Discussion”