Allot of bad mistakes in this game

General discussion with other Mordheim: City of the Damned players.
valle1

Re: Allot of bad mistakes in this game

Postby valle1 » 07 December 2015, 16:40

Just an update on the annoying mission that shooting warbands want to avoid... This can happen to any normal mission which is why I never really found out which to avoid. Today I entered "a walk in the fog" which is normally a fine mission for shooting warbands only to find myself locked in a building surrounded by a melee team. When you get these special missions they will show a big red cross or a skull on the loading screen.
if you REALLY want to avoid those, you can alt+F4 when the stage is loading, if you see that red cross/skull, and it will not load that map up. You can then try loading it up again after starting the game back up and most of the time it's no longer an ambush. Rinse repeat until you get the map that you actually chose (walk in the fog in this case).
But that's of course, if you don't mind a bit of "save-scumming", sort of...
Wow, thanks, that is really helpfull, I will try that the next time. :)

Evan_

Postby Evan_ » 07 December 2015, 17:16

if you REALLY want to avoid those, you can alt+F4 when the stage is loading, if you see that red cross/skull, and it will not load that map up.
I wish I didn't read that. Occasional ambushes are the last thing that reminds me of the first days of M:CotD when I was herding underequipped crippled greenhorns through various gauntlets. :D

Astralwyrm

Postby Astralwyrm » 07 December 2015, 17:23

Ambushes can happen at any time no matter what you pick and you lose an OP for the first turn.

Fons

Postby Fons » 07 December 2015, 19:25

Ambushes are awesome! They make you change the way you would normally play.

Mr. Bear

Postby Mr. Bear » 29 December 2015, 15:51

A lot of people complain about missing 95% chances over and over but I've never seen a single person offer any kind of evidence of this other than anecdotal. My experience, and the experience of many others, is contrary to this.
I've failed a 95% climb check 4 times in a row - but that doesn't really mean anything. It is going to happen. It will happen very rarely, but it will happen.

To be precise, failing a task at a 95% success rate will fail 4 times in a row 00.000625% of the time, or 6.25 times out of a million.

Entirely possible, but rare. That's how statistics work. So, in a perverse way, when you get one of these streaks of bad luck, you can consider yourself lucky for experiencing such a rare event!

MiniaAr

Postby MiniaAr » 30 December 2015, 17:23

While I don't have such a high rate of sucess as Drenzul, I agree with everything he said.

Your strategy isn't the most optimal as skavens. It can work against AI, but having more than 2 units using range weapons at the same time is not really playing to the skaven's strength.

I lost more than 4 guys in a mission, actually I played a pretty dreadful one when I lost 6 out of 8 characters. It was a brutal one against skavens, and I played like crap. I sent my units all over the place, getting engaged one after the other, but never at the same time. I tried a push in the frontline, but had fewer units than the ennemy, who was thus able to push back and get to my backline. I then tried to retreat and regroup, passed one Rout test (it wasn't good news, I wanted to cut my losses), but still almost managed to win this mess with the ennemy warband 2 points above their morale line (5/8 OOA for them).

My point is: It was great! I know exactly why I lost this game, and I'll always remember it which I cannot say about most of the games I won (93% rate, with a band started in early access with deamons in normal games).

So my adive is: take a step back. You only lost a game, your warband can survive this (you'll lose individual members of course, but you'll remember the survivors) and listen to other people's advice so that you don't do the same mistakes again. When you're on top of things after loss like that, it's very satisfying. :)

Twahn

Postby Twahn » 31 December 2015, 23:59

A lot of people complain about missing 95% chances over and over but I've never seen a single person offer any kind of evidence of this other than anecdotal. My experience, and the experience of many others, is contrary to this.
I've failed a 95% climb check 4 times in a row - but that doesn't really mean anything. It is going to happen. It will happen very rarely, but it will happen.

To be precise, failing a task at a 95% success rate will fail 4 times in a row 00.000625% of the time, or 6.25 times out of a million.

Entirely possible, but rare. That's how statistics work. So, in a perverse way, when you get one of these streaks of bad luck, you can consider yourself lucky for experiencing such a rare event!
A big part of the problem with people's perception of chance is the bias they unwittingly apply to their own samples.
Small numbers give a clearer view of this, so I'll use 2 fails at 95% as an example. The chances of this are 1 in 400. However, people aren't really evaluating this entire sample. They typically don't take notice until the first roll fails, and the chances of failing twice after the first has already failed is only 1 in 20. It's a massive difference, clearly, and is an easy trap for the human brain to fall into if you're willing to let it.

Start

Postby Start » 01 January 2016, 23:35

Best is, somebody did an experience on reddit.com/r/mordheim, showing that the dev actually went for real rng, totally random.

Return to “General Discussion”