Possessed Heroes Feel Underpowered

Discuss about the Cult of the Possessed warriors, builds, skills, equipment, strategy and more!
TYP

Possessed Heroes Feel Underpowered

Postby TYP » 30 November 2015, 19:39

Full disclosure, I played TT Mordheim, so I remember the Possessed as a terrifying melee monster that could cut a swathe through the enemy. What I got was, frankly, a very squishy, low damage fighter that can't seem to stay upright. Part of this, I think, is that you get Possessed later than the other heroes, so the other units you're fighting have several levels of upgrades while the new hero is level zero. Part of also is the rather puzzling low damage attacks of an alleged close combat monster.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? If not, how have you made the Possessed hero work?

Aivan

Re: Possessed Heroes Feel Underpowered

Postby Aivan » 02 December 2015, 09:02

I think the biggest advantage in the TT for the Possessed were his two lives. In addition to strength and resistance. In addition, you could choose from the start mutations. Now there is just random at level 1, 5, 10 ...

I am pleased when I have a Possessed as an opponent. In my opinion they die very quickly. Only fear could be a problem for some guys.

I also have not tried him as a leader. ;)

ZORG

Postby ZORG » 02 December 2015, 14:29

Try lowering your warband rating and do some missions with them its much easier. But yes you get a random mutation on level one that don't mean that you will get a weapon mutation. One of my possessed got extra arm ( yey me) and another one got +10 to initiative so mow i have to exp them to level 5 and pray to the dark gods for some mutations, will try to give them some skills and see how that work :)

Stranger83

Postby Stranger83 » 11 December 2015, 07:55

I think what the Possessed need more than anything is the ability to start with a CHOSEN mutation (this would even them be more in line with the TT where you got this too), even if this meant that you missed out on the random mutation as level 1. It may even need to start with two and skip the level 5 one too.

The biggest issue with the Possessed is that, even more so than the other heroes, it is reliant on getting weapon mutations and you have no idea what to spec into until you've had the mutations, the fact that it cannot take armour means that if it doesn't get a sword then you need to spec into toughness or agility - but doing this takes away it's primary skill points of strength.

The speed boost that they gave it was nice - but failed to solve the primary problem with the class.

chaoticmaniac

Postby chaoticmaniac » 11 December 2015, 09:42

I have to say that with the new patch, my possessed switched from "utter crap" to "useful".
With sidestep and vital strike, high agility and precision, he is an henchman kill thanks to reliable crits and an impressive holder due to dodge. It is tricky to use, i admit...

shinros

Postby shinros » 13 December 2015, 12:04

Compared to the other warbands they are in my opinion, armor killing arcane casting chance for the magister its a joke considering chaos is known for their battle mages that megra displays wonderfully in her heavy armor. I can see the sisters of sigmar right now laughing at the magister with their divine spell slinging heavy armor heroes, I feel the magister should get a unique passive that allows him to wear armor over his blood sacrifice.

Since he should not really be in combat in the first place considering how hard chaos is in the early game and late game he is hanging back. The mutant? Don't see the point of the guy you will replace him with a marauder who I feel is a better version of the mutant. Honestly I feel the marauder is the only good chaos hero in my opinion and even then the other warbands got it better since you also have to contend with mutations. The other warbands I would never dream of replacing the sister superior and the first skaven hero.

The possessed is just.... I don't know.

Whenever I am playing megra in the story campaigns it actually FEEL like I am playing a a chaos "hero". I have the same feeling even with the skaven non story heroes when I got the black skaven tearing through enemies and the first skaven hero great climbing and flanking possibilities with two attacks. Plus we all know what the sisters heroes can do.

I think they need to look at the possessed again and the dark souls poor weapon skill at the start makes the warband not all the fun to play starting out.

End note: Megra needs to teach the dam magister how to wear armor without inhibiting his spellcasting. :x

crimsonsun

Postby crimsonsun » 16 December 2015, 01:06

I think the possessed leader is tied with the sisters as strongest Leader out of the four base leaders, but using it to best effectiveness isn't a obvious path at first. Mutants are really good but again start pretty poorly, while the marauder is about as unsubtle as any unit in Mordheim, capable of huge damage and will often be the warbands primary damage dealers. However, the possessed is able to seriously drop down big damage unlike any other hero in the game though by the reading of your post your looking for a Chaos Warrior mutant possessed rather than just a Cultist possessed mutant which is basically just a mutated human without the Chaos Armour and Rune weapons, or marks of devotion (at least currently maybe we shall see this explored via expansions). The Spawn is a fantastic melee tank so I'll not hear a word against it in truth..:p

Doom

Postby Doom » 09 January 2016, 02:44

While the Spawn is certainly nice, it lacks the versatility and raw power of the ogre; it's about on the level of rat ogre, though.

Chaos really has a combination of issues. First: no heavy armor heroes. This means chaos gets no staying power, worse than the skaven, but without the mobility or even cool weapons. They also don't get the magical firepower of the sisters (jeez, you'd think these guys would have magic...). The heroes vary from squishy to very squishy (the hero with high ballistic is particularly stupid, since he'll probably mutate and not be able to use it); having a sorcerer as leader (and still no armor) is just brutal, as he's both extra squishy and feeble in combat...Warhammer is not a magic heavy game like D&D, wizards here are as much liabilities as benefits. And you're *forced* to have one here.

Toss in half your guys can't withdraw from combat. Great, not only are you more likely to be overwhelmed because of the lack of armor, you're also unlikely to be able to withdraw and regroup, so your guys get cut down alot.

Toss in random mutations where, if you're lucky, you break even, otherwise you're screwed, and we're talking a "hard mode" clan for sure.

MANoob

Postby MANoob » 09 January 2016, 15:32

Magister tbh is a very good leader. I certainly like him more than AA and merc captain, I'd say he's about as good as skaven sorc or the matriarch, maybe even better. He's not that great at low level though. I actually don' t like putting heroes in heavy armor even when given the option as this makes them too immobile (or costs 6 skillpoints on something that would be better using these skillpoints for something that allows to kill stuff). I don't like tanking heroes much tbh as they have about as much wounds as henchmen, but can potentially dish out 3x the damage. I would spec him for Order, Battle tongue, WoD, Chains, Word of Pain (very late with tome of magic, not essential), Introspection. He can cast up to 4 orders on the spawn this way (bue bye frontline), more likely gonna be like 3 + WoD though, as well as disable enemy damage dealers with chains while staying out of harms way himself.

I also think with the right mutations chaos spawn is the strongest impressive tbh. I might be missing smth but from my experience so far spawn (good mutations) > rat ogre > ogre > maiden. Yeah, ogre can equip a bit more damaging weapons (can be parried though) and light armor, but light armor is not even necessarily good if you need to tank enemy damage dealers with daredevil and cult has much better racials + mutations that can be worth smth like 12-18 skillpoints in passives. Mercs have no racials that boost melee damage and no support spells that really do well with the ogre. Cult can boost the spawn with WoD and blood offering for +90% damage and +10% crits. Spawn with Adrenaline rush, Blood Offering, Daredevil can use Daredevil + Blood Offering + 3 regular attacks per round, regular attacks would come with smth like 315% damage with WoD going on. All extra limb mutations help bypass dodge which synergises with daredevil nicely, as well as give great damage boost overall. Yeah, you have to fish for the right mutations, but that's the frustrating (or fun depending how you see it) part of playing cult anyway.

As far as posessed go, their main gimmick is the fear aura, which is very powerful.and if you stack it with terror aura from spawn can render enemies quite impotent. One option would be to capitalize on this and use runes of dismay on your henchmen, which also works well with a melee heavy comp since you can force a lot of all alone checks with the right engagement. Use Attracting lure to break formations and maybe even throw demoralize into the mix. Posessed and spawns are the only heroes that get extra limbs so this can be a nice damage boost even if you lack strength. I see two potential builds - One is an agility + toughness sidestep tank that provides the fear debuff and is hard to dispose, and the second one is a melee glasscannon (best used if you get the parry arm so you have at least some survivability). You can't really make a real parry or melee resist tank due to lack of shields and armor. Both of these should work pretty well though, especially with nice mutations like thousand eyes/demon soul for the tank and extra limbs and arms for the damage dealer.

drenzul

Postby drenzul » 10 January 2016, 01:39

While the Spawn is certainly nice, it lacks the versatility and raw power of the ogre; it's about on the level of rat ogre, though.

Chaos really has a combination of issues. First: no heavy armor heroes. This means chaos gets no staying power, worse than the skaven, but without the mobility or even cool weapons. They also don't get the magical firepower of the sisters (jeez, you'd think these guys would have magic...). The heroes vary from squishy to very squishy (the hero with high ballistic is particularly stupid, since he'll probably mutate and not be able to use it); having a sorcerer as leader (and still no armor) is just brutal, as he's both extra squishy and feeble in combat...Warhammer is not a magic heavy game like D&D, wizards here are as much liabilities as benefits. And you're *forced* to have one here.

Toss in half your guys can't withdraw from combat. Great, not only are you more likely to be overwhelmed because of the lack of armor, you're also unlikely to be able to withdraw and regroup, so your guys get cut down alot.

Toss in random mutations where, if you're lucky, you break even, otherwise you're screwed, and we're talking a "hard mode" clan for sure.
Nah, its grind mode not hard mode.

Possessed and Reavers are two of the best heroes.... but only with the right mutations.
Getting the right mutations on them is very tricky.

CS is probably the best of the impressives with the right mutations.
Consider clawed feet (MV 9), + extra limb (+10% damage, + bonus) + extra face (+15% dodge) and you've got a stupidly fast, really hard to kill impressive that does as much damage as pretty much anything else. Also unlike a RO, no stupidity to deal with and Terror is really nasty.

Basically Chaos are crap till you get the right mutations, then they are awesome.

Think about it..... you lose 2SP per mutation.
Each mutation gives you are much or more than a mastered skill (6 SP) in most cases.

I've said a few times, Mutations need to be toned down a bit, then made so you have SOME control over which mutation a hero gets (for example, random 3 choosen, you choose which one).
Nothing guarantees a arm mutation like putting all your martial points into BS :)

Return to “Cult of the Possessed”