Magister

Discuss about the Cult of the Possessed warriors, builds, skills, equipment, strategy and more!
Kholdy

Magister

Postby Kholdy » 26 November 2015, 22:52

I'm new to this game, and I'm wondering how I should build a magister. At first glance it looks like he should become a spellcaster, but I'm not if that's wise. How did you spec your magister? What kind of skills/spells did you get?

Arganan

Re: Magister

Postby Arganan » 27 November 2015, 19:56

You can spec your magister like a range, but then you will skip his special skill. I pkay him with stave and as a meele caster. Raise dodge, int and Weapon skill. The spells chains of Chaos and the initial spell are great to get an advantage in fight against hencemen and even heros.

Kholdy

Postby Kholdy » 28 November 2015, 01:08

You can spec your magister like a range, but then you will skip his special skill. I pkay him with stave and as a meele caster. Raise dodge, int and Weapon skill. The spells chains of Chaos and the initial spell are great to get an advantage in fight against hencemen and even heros.
Hey thanks for the reply. I have a few more questions if that's okay.

What exactly is a melee caster? I'm not sure what that means, but I'm guessing you want to be a "buffer" of sorts that don't use spells that do direct damage. What would you give as his secondary weapon set, a bow? Lastly, do I need to care about Leadership at all? Thanks.

Evan_

Postby Evan_ » 28 November 2015, 07:19

I believe the main question is if you want your leader to be shooty or smashy. One of those needs to be focused to be efficient. He'll be casting too either way. I presonally think the melee option is pretty hazardous in his case - armors and helmets give minuses to casting chance, and survival skills are for the mid-game. Besides, possessed heroes are kinda' melee focused anyways.

I lost my melee magister once in my very first warband. It was painful. I could probably do better now, but I prefer him ranged. Both slinging spells and arrows need the same mindset of hiding in buildings, climbing above where the battle is (or will be), and supporting.

I prefer Chains of Chaos spell to lock down a scary unit. That last wossname spell looks pretty awesome, though I'm yet to see it in action as I'm focusing on other warbands. It seems to better fit a melee leader though.

Also... leadership raises morale. That means you can lose more units before having to do rout checks. It's useful, but I prefer to raise other stats. My main reasoning for that is if I'm losing, I prefer to get out ASAP, to have fewer injured units. Though there is voluntary rout too, and one might be able to turn the match below the treshold too... Choices, preferences, tradeoffs.

Postby Guest » 28 November 2015, 21:32

Evan is right. The first decission you ahve to make is: Range or melee. The spels i mentioned are more support spells.

I choosed the melee path. To keep my magister survive fight i invest in dosge and weapon skill. Whith the help of the skill sidestep he is able to avoid a lot of attaks. At level 5 it should be easy for him to have 80% dodge rate. So he is very hard to hit. At this level you will be able to cast one chain and attak two time because of his special skill. So you don't have to fear hencemen supricing you. Keep in mind to avoid 1:1 or 1:2 against you.
He won't be the ultimate fighter, but with his support skills he and his mades are able to turn advantages in a fight. A mutant 2h or possessed with destuction weapon against a hero with chains is a simple task (when you pray to the chaos gods :) )

Arganan

Postby Arganan » 28 November 2015, 21:40

ups i didn't recognices to log me in.

To answer your questions.
1. A melee caster is person who is able to stand in melee fights and able to cast, It isn't a class or something you may be used to know in other games. I just wanted to describe how i use him. So he won't wear armor.
2. I don't use the second slot. There are different theories and builds to have more influence on the initiative letter with double dagger + 2h. But i try to kep the initiative of my group close together. a second weapon set means also a higher rating, even if you don't use the weapon it counts. So only my range mates have a second melee set, whenever they are caught in close combat.

Aivan

Postby Aivan » 02 December 2015, 09:10

I dont like the Magister as a leader. I only play the sisters with their sorcerers. I hate the other ones :lol: . Unfortunately, the alternative is to play a possessed as a leader ;)

Coyote81

Postby Coyote81 » 04 December 2015, 10:37

I have played my magister a couple different ways, and one way I like to go is heavy armor, shield and mace. And wade into the battle after my frontliners have contacted, they use his AOE spells to cause all kind of issues, use your passive skills to increase you spellcasting chances to overcome the penalties. This will keep him alive and let him best support your melee units.

davinewrath

Postby davinewrath » 06 December 2015, 20:57

My Magister got jumped early on and lost an arm. He now runs around in heavy armour with a mace as a secondary melee hero who joins ongoing fights and does a reasonable amount of damage to whittle down/OoA the opponent. I have thought about teaching him some more spells and having him hang back as a support, but he looks so cool all armoured up!

Arganan

Postby Arganan » 11 January 2016, 08:04

Here is an idea i'm abut to test right now:

use magister as a real leader comanding:

Skills:
Channeling mastered
Order (mastered)
Battle Tongue mastered
Introspection mastered
Sidestep mastered

Spells:
Weapons of Destruction mastered
others as you like Chain of Chaos is one of my favorite
Acid Breath or Word of Pain.

Equipment:
Mace) + Shield + pendant + cloth with respecting enchants for decreased curse chance.

How to play:
He stays in 2nd line and take part in meele if he realy have too. Sidestep is your defencive skill and the shield also increase your defence. The reduction for curse on the staff can be ignored.
He is about to give Order. First he will cast Weapon of Destuction(WoD) on one of his mate in combat and then cast order on him.
You can use introspection to get more OP. So you are able to cast WoD and order 3 times at lvl 10. This perfectly synergies with every dual wield mate in close combat. E.g. a Chaos Spawn or possessed with fatality and blood offering from former round.
When the magister is attacked he can defend himself with simple attack and Acid Breath in combination.

Has any body allready experience with such a build? Any comments? :)

Return to “Cult of the Possessed”