tips on Rat Ogre usage

Discuss about the Skaven of Clan Eshin warriors, builds, skills, equipment, strategy and more!
Mikkel

tips on Rat Ogre usage

Postby Mikkel » 13 March 2016, 07:06

So I finally got my Ratty little warband up to rank 5, with Rat Ogres now being an option.

But I can't help but feel that he's more of a liability than an asset. Especially since he requires a dedicated minder to be remotely useful, and starts at rank 0.

It's not so much that using him is not fun (it is! Especially when I get to sick him on one of those pesky armored she-humans, yes-yes!) it's the fact that using him brings enemy impressives to the table (playing solely vs AI at the moment, I am far from confident enough to play true multiplayer!).

So my question is: do Skaven veterans use the Rat Ogre, and if so how do you make him pull his (very considerable) weight?

As an example, I recently played against the sisters - always a tricky proposition for Skaven - and their Impressive carved him up in no time flat (and would have continued to do the same to the rest of my guys if I hadn't been saved by a frankly very lucky failed rout test on their part)

Frankie

Re: tips on Rat Ogre usage

Postby Frankie » 13 March 2016, 13:29

I'd use it as damage dealer. It has the biggest potential of all uses. Throw in Frenzy and Black Hunger (in respective order) and you got a brutal damage output instantly. Add Swarm and Fatality and they will obliterate henchmen in one round reliably. The rest is up to you. They need a handler which might seem inconvenient at times, but I use Guidance on a warpguard hero as well to counter anyone's Amok or Stupidity. The beast's stat improvement doesn't have much room of flexibility, but here's how I did mine,

Mikkel

Postby Mikkel » 14 March 2016, 07:46

I'd use it as damage dealer. It has the biggest potential of all uses. Throw in Frenzy and Black Hunger (in respective order) and you got a brutal damage output instantly. Add Swarm and Fatality and they will obliterate henchmen in one round reliably. The rest is up to you. They need a handler which might seem inconvenient at times, but I use Guidance on a warpguard hero as well to counter anyone's Amok or Stupidity.
Yes damage dealer seems to be the obvious choice - Warpguard henchmen can take care of any tanking required. Gave mine Frenzy so far, still waiting for him to 'pull his weight' but other than the impressive Sister I'm mostly able to avoid opposing Impressives, making the fact that my RO is somewhat failing to perform acceptable.
The beast's stat improvement doesn't have much room of flexibility, but here's how I did mine,
Is that a Norwegian Blue ratogre? Beautiful plumage, ay?

Frankie

Postby Frankie » 14 March 2016, 10:17

Yes damage dealer seems to be the obvious choice - Warpguard henchmen can take care of any tanking required. Gave mine Frenzy so far, still waiting for him to 'pull his weight' but other than the impressive Sister I'm mostly able to avoid opposing Impressives, making the fact that my RO is somewhat failing to perform acceptable.
Wait 'til lvl10 to perform adequately, until then use it to take out easy targets. Impressives get super-buff stats for the AI I usually refrained from pitting my own RO against them, and mostly just kited them and switched around the fodder to take them down.
Is that a Norwegian Blue ratogre? Beautiful plumage, ay?
Yeah... Though a bit stale at this point. Couldn't even sell the meat back to the Moulders, had to leave it in Mordheim. :x

Astralwyrm

Postby Astralwyrm » 19 March 2016, 15:30

I held out on buying a rat ogre until i could hire a rank 7 Rat Ogre and Sorceror Leader. Master lucidity enchantment on head gear and max Intelligence has won me every stupidity test so far. Have your ogre train wreck your enemies and play the sorceror cautiously behind him so he can give him orders. He can easily wipe out enemies in a single turn all on his own. Give him stuff like frenzy, fatality and deep wounds to beef up his damage. He moves fast so giving him knowledge: ambush and force of will helps absorb enemy ambushes setup the previous turn.

Frankie

Postby Frankie » 19 March 2016, 19:52

RO improves a lot faster than any other units, I'd hold back spending gold on them, save it for the Eshin Sorc instead which is virtually useless on low levels.

Mikkel

Postby Mikkel » 30 March 2016, 10:06

Well I have him up to rank 5 or 6 and he's starting to hold his own - mostly using him in story missions where the opposition is fixed or the occasional "B team" match for the junior rats. Mastered Frenzy and Black Hunger leaves him a dependable damage dealer, even if he's still terribly fragile. The sorceror continues to be a terrible waste of space and credits so maybe the real problem is the fact that even with maxed intelligence on the RO, fielding the seer is still pretty much mandatory.

Astralwyrm

Postby Astralwyrm » 30 March 2016, 10:14

Once you have a purple staff and channelling your sorcerer should pretty much never set off curses. Your Sorcerer barely ever needs to cast spells once he gets battle tongue and mastered order. My sorcerer is my leader.

Arganan

Postby Arganan » 31 March 2016, 08:15

I Think there is one big disadvantage regarding the rat oger compared to other impressives. The bracers counts as 2h-weapon so every extra swing reduce damage for additional 15% instead of constant 25% reduction for dw. So is order still worth it?

Mikkel

Postby Mikkel » 11 April 2016, 12:47

Well, he died. I sincerely doubt I'm going to bother training a new one. Might give it a go if/when I get to Rank 5 rep with the Murderlord and get a free Rank 7 one. Otherwise, just too much risk and nuisance.

Which is probably working as intended™, assuming the intention was to make sure Impressives are not auto-includes.

Return to “Skaven of Clan Eshin”