Building Skaven for PvP Environments

Discuss about the Skaven of Clan Eshin warriors, builds, skills, equipment, strategy and more!
MANoob

Re: Building Skaven for PvP Environments

Postby MANoob » 08 January 2016, 18:33

Well, having 1 hard hitter with extremely high magic resist is not exactly a huge investment, and in case of spawn/ogre most warbands would actually heavily rely on magic to shut them down anyway, so I think it's a good start. Warp poison also works vs anything, and if you get in range using cover it can give you an upper hand. It makes sense to either put ranged or magic resist on your range skaven and imo magic makes more sense since ranged can be helped with the ranged resist cloud if you're going for a balanced composition (and you can have decent toughness + alertness anyway). Chances of melee sister or merc builds vs skaven look very bleak imo as they would be sitting at very low OP most of the time, besides their available melee builds lack damage for the most part compared to skaven/chaos (black hunger + daredevil is super strong, as well as blood offering). Chaos is probably the only warband that can give you real trouble with a melee comp. So you can run MR on the ogre and night runners for instance without suffering too much against melee and having a decent chance vs range still.

Yes, sinful speech is the best for shutting down casters (it's the only thing it does after all), warp poison would work very well too. Warp poison + crippling shot would put a purifier at grand total of 3 OP. It doesn't shut down spellcasting completely, but it also hinders any other form of offence e.g a silenced sorc can still spam his red points on order, but that doesn't work if you have none. I'n not sure, but are spells considered offensive skills? If so, chains of chaos would work fairly well too. Mercs can put out a competitive amount of ranged and magic dps with hero marksmen and warlocks (I actually consider warlocks to be better than purifiers because while dealing slightly less damage per OP they also have much lower chance to be cursed due to fewer casts - lightnings are 3 OP each) that is also harder to defend against as you need 2 resists. Overall there would always be builds that you would struggle against regardless of the one you have. You can try to make a balanced build that has a fair chance vs everyone or roll a specialized one that will roll certain comps but struggle against others.

MANoob

Postby MANoob » 11 January 2016, 03:01

Put a bit more thought into it and the best approach would likely be to carry 2 separate weapon sets, one of which is kitted out for mage hunting. Talismans would also work pretty well if you have them. Also, I think a pretty good strategy vs sisters of mercs would be to get double black heavy dd scaven - these guys can easily drop a hero per round each, the trick is to actually get them to the enemy damage dealers. The problem with the current MP though is that turtling is so heavily rewarded. There's no incenitive for a merc/sister player to move out - they risk getting flanked or just swarmed if they leave openings in their formation. There's no point for scaven to attack a heavily entrenched position either - you'd rater hide behind cover and wait for a chance to get in and do the damage. Looks quite broken tbh, I think multiplayer needs some mechanism to reward agression such as control points on the map that can grant you a victory if captured.

Karond

Postby Karond » 28 April 2016, 22:21

The globadier with a mastered strangled globe is very good at anti-magic tactics. You're still stuck with 15 range so you've to get close but since there is no overwatch it's doable. The globe is area of effect and lasts for 2 rounds without a save, so with the sisters having a tendency to turtle you can likely aim a globe that gets rid of most of their spellcasting and leadership skills for 2 turns. The poison wind globe is also decent at breaking up turtling. :)

crimsonsun

Postby crimsonsun » 08 December 2016, 14:59

Just to say yes, globe thrower fixes the issue enough to make it no longer a game breaker in those match ups, of course magic resistance has also been boosted to a level where its now something you can build without giving up on everything else, both are positive changes in my opinion though for rats one problem has been replaced by another and that for them is match ups against Undead which is just grim, however this isn't so much a build issue as a straight match up issue with builds that are better against non Undead opponents and I'm not opposed to having hard match up's with a warband at all.

Return to “Skaven of Clan Eshin”