When to fire a hero

Discuss about the Skaven of Clan Eshin warriors, builds, skills, equipment, strategy and more!
KillingTime

When to fire a hero

Postby KillingTime » 30 November 2015, 10:31

I'm a couple of weeks in to the game now and getting the hang of running the Skaven warband.
As expected, even with a relatively clean run through the first few warpstone runs and campaign missions, I've still managed to pick up some permanent injuries on some key gang members.
Most annoyingly I've got a Black Skaven with roughly +4 Accuracy, +2 weapon skill, +2 strength and a skill (+10 crits on ambushes), but who has picked up a cluster of injuries including deep wounds, smashed hand and damaged eye, all of which nerf his melee abilities.

Is it worth keeping him as his progression is good, or should I fire him because his injuries make him a drain and he's just stopping his replacement from getting started on the XP tree?

askanbr

Re: When to fire a hero

Postby askanbr » 30 November 2015, 19:11

He got too many big injuries, you should fire him or at least use for wyrmstone gathering .

seawolfben

Postby seawolfben » 01 December 2015, 01:03

It's kind of a matter of preference unless you plan on doing pvp. PVE isn't really that punishing so you can get away with sub-optimal stuff. My competitive PVP warband has virtually no injuries (the shining exception is my melee/sidestep focused night runner who has lost an arm actually making him better as I was having him be a one handed build anyway, and missing arm is strictly better then empty hand lol). I've also got a band I call "cult of the peg legged" who I specifically play with the goal of never ever firing anyone. Its fun for me to play with my horribly maimed and crippled warband and make it work, like a mini self imposed challenge mode.

Olliesmith6121

Postby Olliesmith6121 » 01 December 2015, 13:34

I also have just aquired a one armed dodge expert.
So do less wepons give you more dodge? Is that star symbol with a number next to it weight?
I'm still in my 1st week of the game.

Astralwyrm

Postby Astralwyrm » 01 December 2015, 13:46

Having a empty hand gives you 10 initiative and 10% extra dodge for dodge stance. If i remember correctly.

Evan_

Postby Evan_ » 01 December 2015, 14:07

I don't get these one armed dodge experts.

If I want someone in melee, I raise weapon skill, what sooner or later results in high parry chance, what feels more useful than dodge because of counter-attacks. Either I plan to use a shield or a 2 handed weapon, being maimed feels debilitating... as being maimed should. A one armed tank or damage dealer might be a lot better than a rookie, but not nearly as good as he would be with all limbs. Better train a new one imho.

It's auto-kick for anyone trained for ranged for obvious reason.

I'd love the bonus dodge on dedicated scavengers, but that's where not being able to climb really hurts. Kick for me again.

Actually, the only maimed char I kept is a trained mage... for reserve. That's where I miss that arm the less. Too bad, I love the idea of having mutilated chars around. I love Mr. Seawolf's 'nokick warband' concept. Gonna try it next time. Cripples are fun, and I wanna filed someone with only two limbs. :D

Astralwyrm

Postby Astralwyrm » 01 December 2015, 15:28

1. There is one or two 2handed weapons that give free dodges to enemies.
2. Parry piercing weapons like the rat ogre and chaos units have.
3. Counter attacks aren't important if you use all your OP each turn.
4. Easiers bonuses to be had for dodge than parry.
5. The more you focus on weaponskill the less is left for accuracy; making enemy dodge builds even better.

Which is better is another argument, back in early access there were a few who thought dodge was superior in every way.

Evan_

Postby Evan_ » 02 December 2015, 06:59

Hmm... Ok, I'm convinced. Started training some dodgy melee-frontliners in the hope of some of them losing an arm... I mean to test how it compares to parry. :D Anyhow, those few lines made me regret sending away a few promising talents only for a few bits of them being chopped.

KillingTime

Postby KillingTime » 02 December 2015, 08:31

I actually fired a Night Runner earlier on in the progression of this warband because he lost an arm.
Had I know then that it could be an asset I might have kept him, though there does seem to be something intrinsically wrong with that idea.

Aivan

Postby Aivan » 02 December 2015, 09:47

--> Seawolfben

Your idea is awesome! I try this challange mode next time :lol:

Return to “Skaven of Clan Eshin”