Early Access V2 Patch 1 is live - Release notes included

All new information about Mordheim: City of the Damned Early Access
Adonai

Early Access V2 Patch 1 is live - Release notes included

Postby Adonai » 17 December 2014, 19:56

Release Notes Early Access V2 Patch 1

Hello Everyone

Here is the first patch for EA V2. Major changes here are for the cameras, as well as some balancing tweaks. You will see that not all bugs reported by the community are handled in this patch, but that is to be expected on such a short time frame while we continue to work on other aspects of the game to move full production forward.

If you find any bugs or need some technical help, please refer to the appropriate forum for bugs reporting and technical issues, and do no post in general discussions.

The general discussion forum is very hard for us to navigate as there is a lot of movement, so we only look at it briefly. If you get a game breaking bug, such as a crash to desktop, please make a post in the bug report section, and also send your output log found in your steam install directory: Steam\SteamApps\common\mordheim\mordheim_Data\output_log.txt
email this log to logs at rogue-factor.com and we'll take a look at it. please link this thread in your email so we can return to it.

A DxDiag can also be helpful, and if you managed to take a screenshot that will also help quite a bit.

This patch comes in as 0.15.4.7. Please read below for a list of corrections, additions, and removals.

Fixes
  • Cameras: The cameras for attack actions (melee / ranged) have been disabled and a fixed camera is now presented. We are looking for community comments on this.
  • Typos: miscellaneous un-localised strings have been localised.
  • Charge/Ambush: Charge-ing and ambushing will now have unit direct itself to enemy instead of straight line. If blocked by an obstacle, action will be cancelled.
  • AI: AI warband generation has been revised, and AI teams will now have Impressive units. This should make the game more challenging.
Tweaks
  • Skirmish menu has multiple corrections.
  • Tutorials have been updated to match gameplay changes.
  • Updated several instances of "invisible walls" but there are still some we know about.
  • Corrected certain pathfinding problems on stairs, but others exist.
Balancing Tweaks
  • Cost for Base Attack, Charge and Ambush is now 2 OP.
  • Weapons with Tiring Effect have action costs increased by 1 OP for second and consecutive attacks and for 1 turn. The effect remains if you switch weapons. Impressive units are immune to this Effect.
  • OP for Shoot and Overwatch have increased for all ranged weapons.
  • The amount of OP per unit has been revised.
  • Adjusted damage for Two Handed weapons and firearms.
We're not making a list of Known issues in this case, as known issues not listed here as being corrected can be assumed to still exist. a fuller list of known issues will be compiled for the upcoming update, which will be much longer than this post.

Starkfield

Re: Early Access V2 Patch 1 is live - Release notes included

Postby Starkfield » 18 December 2014, 12:22

Cameras: The cameras for attack actions (melee / ranged) have been disabled and a fixed camera is now presented. We are looking for community comments on this.
Just a little feedback, as you asked...
I can understand that the ranged/melee angles were buggy and it makes sense to cut them, whilst you fix them. I do hope you are going to fix them?

Now we have a stable view but it is also now a static and prosaic one - removing the attack cameras has robbed combat of a little je ne sais quoi in my opinion.

It is all the 'little' touches and attention to 'detail' that all come together and make Mordheim unique and special.

I think you should definitely reintroduce them as garnish in a later update.

I am reminded of the climbing animations - there are two:

1, where you only see your guy from behind and know he is going to fall.
Or
2, we get a front view and know he/she will have success.

They are quite lacklustre but they work - imagine:
if the climber pauses and looks around half way up; or he/she has a micro-slip but doesn't actually fall...

These tiny extra animations are what I would call garnish. They are the petite idiosyncrasies peculiar and distinct only to Mordheim and all the painstaking lengths you guys go to, to add the garnish will be returned to you in gratitude (and revenue...) a thousand fold by the appreciative and dedicated players of Mordheim.

The details are SO important:
The sinister red colouring and gleam in a Skaven eye
The slight downward looking cast attackers give you as you lie there stunned... or worse...
The callous efficiency of the Sisters...
The slight hint of the dandy present in the feather or headscarf worn by the Mercenaries...
The vulgar grimace of the Merc Heavy...
The angles that the warriors hold their weapons...
The Sister with the blindfold and the glow...
The rounded muzzle of the Blunderbuss...
etc...etc...

Guys I could go on - but you know what I'm driving at...

Make something so special that you can all hang up your code and retire!

BUT make Necromunda before you do...
Last edited by Starkfield on 20 December 2014, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.

Deuzerre

Postby Deuzerre » 18 December 2014, 17:14

Cost for Base Attack, Charge and Ambush is now 2 OP.
Weapons with Tiring Effect have action costs increased by 1 OP for second and consecutive attacks and for 1 turn. The effect remains if you switch weapons. Impressive units are immune to this Effect.
OP for Shoot and Overwatch have increased for all ranged weapons.
The amount of OP per unit has been revised.
Adjusted damage for Two Handed weapons and firearms.
The previous patch brought something good to the game: It made damage output more important, which subsequently resulted in strategic/tactical decisions to be more important.

With the changes above, the damage output drastically fell.
"Grunts" are better off with heavy weapons to deal some damage
"heroes" now can't do two attacks in a row with decent damage output (no two handed) which results in very low damage output (one handed and two attacks)
"Impressive" are the main damage dealers, which is sort of fine, but so were they before.

But everything is now back to "stage 1" where you basically did one attack, then went in a stance, the opponent does the same, and it's a very slow battle with very little change over time.

Please rollback the combat changes, and only find something to prevent ore than 3 attacks for heroes and 4 attacks for impressive units.

the_dtox

Postby the_dtox » 18 December 2014, 18:35

Weapons with Tiring Effect have action costs increased by 1 OP for second and consecutive attacks and for 1 turn. The effect remains if you switch weapons. Impressive units are immune to this Effect.
The previous patch brought something good to the game: It made damage output more important, which subsequently resulted in strategic/tactical decisions to be more important.

"heroes" now can't do two attacks in a row with decent damage output (no two handed) which results in very low damage output (one handed and two attacks)
"Impressive" are the main damage dealers, which is sort of fine, but so were they before.

But everything is now back to "stage 1" where you basically did one attack, then went in a stance, the opponent does the same, and it's a very slow battle with very little change over time.

Please rollback the combat changes, and only find something to prevent ore than 3 attacks for heroes and 4 attacks for impressive units.
Agreed, what were they thinking? This seems like a knee-jerk reaction, more of a band-aid than a fix.

ReficuL999

Postby ReficuL999 » 18 December 2014, 23:08

i have only tested the patch once so don't have much too add here yet..
But one thing that becomes clearer for every time i play is the points of jumping down and up..
i have written something close to this an other time but i will nagg again <sry3 :)

You can easily block of the climbing and drop points buy just standing on them even if its a gr8 wall were you should easily fit meany ppl in a row.
If you want to just be a tactical jerk you can win a game just by having a good starting position and block ppl, i am all for tactics but that's just not right. also if someone dies on one of these points you cant use it for the rest of the game, an other thing that's just not logical and not a part of the mordheime board game. (at least not something i know of)
I have no problems adverting from the board game in some small ways just to make a playable video game but i don't think that's a weary good game play. (also i thing most ppl playing would not like that =P)

I have just started playing mordheime much thanks to you! played warhammer and 40k since i was a kid and i want to thank you for opening my eyes to this incredible game whit in my favorite game of al times!

Keep up the good work and sry too al real mordheime fans if i offend you in any way regarding my posts ;)

one more thing. you should make small objects passable, like the benches in the temple and stuff in that basic size. objects that you should clearly be able to jump over. and i have noticed that even if you stun an enemy you will not be sure too hit him, one thing that i know of from the mordheime rules for sure is that if you are stunned you will get automatically hit whit no armor save allowed so at least should be a 100% to hit? cant be hard slapping an unconscious person.

once more thank you love every minute, i agree whit some ppl here about adding different warbands, i have just one change to there comments..
Add em all (Y)

Starkfield

Postby Starkfield » 19 December 2014, 12:28

Agreed, what were they thinking? This seems like a knee-jerk reaction, more of a band-aid than a fix.
I agree completely - I realise I always bang on about the game's looks and whatnot and never mention the gameplay. The latest patch has turned gameplay into a very stilted affair. One attack (mostly) hit a stance... One attack (mostly) hit a stance...

The way it was before you couldn't just rush in and duke-it-out because you would lose quick. You had to plan and use support. Four attacks for some units was a little OTT but the combat was better before - more difficult and a hell of a lot more fun.

Change it back please and just restrict the four attacks...
Last edited by Starkfield on 21 December 2014, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

nithon

Postby nithon » 19 December 2014, 14:41

So much this, reducing the points made for a way better combat experience.

the_dtox

Postby the_dtox » 21 December 2014, 12:58

They need to pay attention to this forum. The Steam forum is garbage and filled with ''SHOULD I BUY THIS GAME'' posts.

Starkfield

Postby Starkfield » 23 December 2014, 18:34

They need to pay attention to this forum. The Steam forum is garbage and filled with ''SHOULD I BUY THIS GAME'' posts.
The Devs don't seem interested in what is said on here, as they rarely answer...

Starkfield

Postby Starkfield » 26 December 2014, 11:59

The Devs don't seem interested in what is said on here, as they rarely answer...
So... I found this on Steam... Devs might listen....

I think it addresses the down-classing of heroes' OP and clearly illustrates the overall regression delivered in the last patch.

Here it is:

​​
"V2P1 initial reactions after 4 games:

Prior to the patch, 1h was already behind 2h/DW due to heavy armor. Post patch, it's not even close. Had a hero hit my henchman with a 1h Mace for 11, counterattacked with my Great Axe for 49, then he hit me again for 7. These results are not atypical.

Despite the per-hit damage increase on weapons, overall lethality is down due to fewer attacks. This isn't good or bad, just the new reality.

The stock of Heroes went down since they can no longer make multiple attacks with 2h weapons now that they only have 4op instead of 5 and 1h weapons aren't worth writing home about. An odd side effect of the downgrade from 5 to 4op for the Champion and Wizard class heroes is that the Youngblood and Leader now shine as the most versatile heroes due to their 5sp. The most damaging combos are 1h/shield to close, attack to plink or remove defensive stance, then switch to 2h for the real damage. Similar to this is to plink with a bow/xbow, then switch to 2h/DW for the remainder of your op.

Henchmen are now more valuable since in most situations, they hit nearly as hard as Heroes. Marksmen are GOLD with Handguns and DW Maces.

Impressive units are back to super-duper incredible. Not only did 2h weapon damage increase, they can still swing three times. The only thing they lost is some versatility in having the option to swing a single 1h weapon six times. Now you take your biggest 2h for weapon set one, and the weapon stat buffs from whatever DW combo you like for set 2 (if an Ogre). Maidens have the option of using Shields, but why bother (more on that). Rat ogres, well, you're the same as you were... behind everyone else in every way except speed.

Armor and shields overall are worth less than before. This is because weapons do more damage and because 2h are going to become the norm, thereby mitigating a smaller % of incoming damage. Along with 2h weapons, black powder weapons still pack a much greater punch then bows and do more overall than bows, even though bows can shoot twice for heroes. The exception might be the Longbow, since it has the same range and average damage as a xbow (unless you're shooting at armor...don't) and only takes 1sp to reload. It makes a good finisher weapon for enemies with low remaining hp, so I give one to the Wizard since he can't use guns.

Overall I would have to rate the patch overall as a step backward because it will mean less variety of viable options. I'm disappointed that 1h/bow attacks aren't really worth using most of the time now. I'm also disappointed that the future option of "1 Impressive or 2 Heroes" isn't really much of a choice now since the Impressive is far better than two Heroes in the current state of combat. If Heroes still had 5op to swing a 2h twice, it would be a much closer call, but then 1h would NEVER, EVER be used because you'd be able to attack only twice with either, and 1h would be blown out of the water. I suppose if you really wanted to focus on the ranged game, 2 heroes would be better than an Imp, but in most cases that will be a bad trade compared to a fast as hell unit that can dish upwards of 200 damage a turn"

It would be nice to hear from the Devs on this?

Return to “Official Announcements”